Search button


Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email this page

Policy Guide

Back to Policies List

Late Withdrawal

What is a late withdrawal?
A late withdrawal happens when a student is unable to withdraw from a course(s) by the withdrawal deadline (typically the middle of the term).  A late withdrawal can be requested by either a student or a program representative on behalf of a student.   If you believe there has been an administrative error on your enrollment record, please contact your program. 

When do I request a late withdrawal?
Late withdrawals should only be requested due to extraordinary circumstances or when an administrative error occurred which prevented the student from withdrawing by the university withdrawal deadline. Talk to your professor before pursuing a late withdrawal petition. Your professor should be informed of your intent to change the registration status of your class(s).  Dissatisfaction with a course or change of program is not sufficient grounds for a late withdrawal.  A late withdrawal might be granted because of a serious injury to an immediate family member in your care or a mandated and unavoidable employment change.

How will it affect my student record?
A late withdrawal does not refund tuition fees. If a late withdrawal is approved by the College of Graduate Studies, a grade of "Withdraw Passing" (WP) or "Withdraw Failing" (WF) will be assigned by the instructor according to the student's academic performance. A "WP" has no effect on the GPA and a "WF" is calculated as a failing grade in the GPA.

What should I submit for a late withdrawal?
To obtain a student request for a late withdrawal, please contact the Student Services office at the e-mail listed below.  Be sure to read the instructions on the form.  Complete the request form and write a statement explaining why the student was not able to withdraw from the class by the withdrawal deadline. Include dates, details, and any documentation that supports your explanation.   Obtain a copy of your registration schedule from the myUCF website -- NOT a fee invoice.  Attach copy to your request.  If you have any type of financial assistance from the Office of Financial Assistance, you must have them sign off on the request form before you turn it in.  If you are an international student with F1/J1 visa, you must have the Office of International Student and Scholar Services sign off on the petition form before you turn it in.  All copies of the request forms must be legible and with complete information. Any documentation not in the English language must be translated by proper authority before submitting with the request forms.  Return the completed form to the College of Graduate Studies at: Millican Hall room 230.

How long will a late withdrawal take to process?
A late withdrawal may take between 2-4 weeks for approval and processing.   If a late withdrawal is not approved, students will be responsible for all course requirements including grades earned.

Who can I contact for help?
If you have questions regarding late withdrawals, please contact Elsa Nieves at the College of Graduate Studies at 407-823-2766 or at:



  • Elsa Nieves
    Student Services and Graduation, College of Graduate Studies

Back to top


The University of Central Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Central Florida.

Please note the commission's expectation that contact occur only if there is evidence to support significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. For other information about UCF’s SACSCOC accreditation, please contact the university's SACSCOC liaison in UCF's Office of Academic Affairs.

| © 2015 University of Central Florida - College of Graduate Studies