Search button


Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email this page

Policy Guide

Back to Policies List

Medical Withdrawal

What is a medical withdrawal?
Medical Withdrawals are requested when students are suffering from a medical condition that prevents the successful completion of the semester.  Medical withdrawals are typically for all courses the student is registered in for the semester.  Medical withdrawals will not be approved for more than one term for the same medical condition.  If the student was aware of the medical condition at the time of registration, the request will be denied.

When do I request a Medical Withdrawal?
Only illness or injuries, as it relates to the student, of extended duration are normally considered for a medical withdrawal.  Medical withdrawals will not be approved if the difficulty resulting from an injury or illness was present when the student enrolled for the term.  Application must be submitted within 1 year of the end of the withdrawal term (submission within 6 months refunds tuition, if approved).

How will it affect my student record?
A medical withdrawal will result in a full refund of tuition fees if processed within six (6) months of the term affected.  The student receives a "WM" which indicates on the academic record the student was withdrawn from classes due to medical reasons.

What should I submit for a medical withdrawal?
To obtain a student request for a medical withdrawal, please contact the Student Services office at the e-mail listed below.  Be sure to read the instructions on the form. Return the completed form to the College of Graduate Studies at: Millican Hall room 230.  Any documentation not in the English language must be translated by proper authority before submitting with the request forms.  The following forms will be required to file for a Medical Withdrawal and should be returned to the College of Graduate Studies:

1) FORM B - is a request to be medically withdrawn from the University is a request to be medically withdrawn from the University and should be returned to the College of Graduate Studies.
  • Obtain a copy of your registration schedule from the myUCF website -- NOT a fee invoice. Attach copy to your request.
  • If you have any type of financial assistance from the Office of Financial Assistance, you must have them sign off on the request form before you turn it in.
  • If you are an international student with F1/J1 visa, you must have the Office of International Student and Scholar Services sign off on the request form before you turn it in.

2) FORM C - is a medical release form to be signed, witnessed and returned along with FORM B by the student.

3) FORM D - is a health/medical provider report form which must be completed by the student and the student's physician or physicians and must be returned directly to the College of Graduate Studies by the physician(s).

4) Letter of Explanation – is a statement from the student regarding the severity of his/her medical condition explaining why he/she is unable to complete the semester due to the medical condition.

How long will a medical withdrawal take to process?
A medical withdrawal may take between 2-4 weeks for approval and processing.  . If a late medical withdrawal is not approved, students will be responsible for all course requirements including grades earned.

Who can I contact for help?
If you have questions regarding late withdrawals, please contact Elsa Nieves at the College of Graduate Studies at 407-823-2766 or at:



  • Elsa Nieves
    Student Services and Graduation, College of Graduate Studies

Back to top


The University of Central Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Central Florida.

Please note the commission's expectation that contact occur only if there is evidence to support significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. For other information about UCF’s SACSCOC accreditation, please contact the university's SACSCOC liaison in UCF's Office of Academic Affairs.

| © 2015 University of Central Florida - College of Graduate Studies