Search button


Get Social!

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Email this page

Policy Guide

Back to Policies List

Special Leave of Absence

A Special Leave of Absence may be granted to a student in order to temporarily waive the continuous attendance or enrollment requirement. A student may request such a leave in cases where the student can demonstrate good cause (e.g., illness, family issues, financial difficulties, personal circumstances, recent maternity/paternity, employment issues). The specific reason for the Special Leave of Absence request must be indicated by the student on the Special Leave of Absence Form  and supporting documentation must also be provided at the time of submission. A Special Leave of Absence will be granted only after approval from the Graduate Program Director for the student's program of study, International Services Center (required for international students), and College of Graduate Studies.

Students (that are not engaged in thesis or dissertation) may request up to 6 consecutive semesters away from graduate study. Request for a Special Leave of Absence must be filed by submitting the Special Leave of Absence Form and supporting documentation no later than the end of the add/drop period of the third semester of absence. Time spent in a Special Leave of Absence will not reduce the total time limitation for degree completion (see the policy regarding Time Limitation for Degree Completion in the master's, specialist, and doctoral policies in the current Graduate Catalog). If a student fails to enroll in the semester following the last term in the approved Special Leave of Absence, the student will have failed to maintain continuous enrollment and must apply for readmission to the university.

Students enrolled in Thesis or Dissertation must submit a Special Leave of Absence form when enrolled for any length of term and prior to the first day of classes for the term of non enrollement.

Nondegree students whose graduate status GPA or cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 will be immediately dismissed from the university. (A graduate student’s cumulative GPA is the GPA for all courses taken at UCF as a graduate student. The graduate status GPA is defined above.) Dismissed students are not allowed to enroll in courses unless they are readmitted either to a graduate program or as a nondegree student.

If you have questions regarding special leaves of absence, please contact Student Services in the College of Graduate Studies at 407-823-2766 or



  • Lorie Elrod
    Student Services and Graduation, College of Graduate Studies

Back to top


The University of Central Florida is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award degrees at the associate, baccalaureate, master’s, specialist, and doctoral levels. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call (404) 679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Central Florida.

Please note the commission's expectation that contact occur only if there is evidence to support significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard. For other information about UCF’s SACSCOC accreditation, please contact the university's SACSCOC liaison in UCF's Office of Academic Affairs.

| © 2015 University of Central Florida - College of Graduate Studies